About Me

Twenty years ago I asked a Tarot card reader what would I be doing when I was 50. She replied, “I see you doing something so wildly creative, it defies a job title.” Only recently did I realize that was a slick way of saying, “I have no idea of what you’ll be doing.” But that prediction kept me charging ahead to the fifties with zeal and anticipation. Now that the future is today, I’m ready for anything!

It's Good to Be Shameless

When you hear the word shameless, it's not used in a good way: shameless hussy, shameless vixen.

The word "shameless" isn't used as often with men. And when it is, it describes what they do. Men do shameless things, but women are shameless people.

Shame is a shaming word. Just hear the word and you can picture the finger of shame wig-wagging away. Author BrenĂ© Brown is a leading researcher on the topics of shame and empathy. She defines shame as 
The intensely painful feeling or experience of believing we are flawed and therefore unworthy of acceptance and belonging. 
Developing resilience to shame, Dr. Brown says, begins with owning our stories, embracing our vulnerabilities and imperfections, engaging from a place of authenticity and worthiness. 

How do you define shamelessness? In a good or bad way?

Photo of Elizabeth Taylor from Butterfield 8 appeared on the blog Tinkerty Tonk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics