About Me

Twenty years ago I asked a Tarot card reader what would I be doing when I was 50. She replied, “I see you doing something so wildly creative, it defies a job title.” Only recently did I realize that was a slick way of saying, “I have no idea of what you’ll be doing.” But that prediction kept me charging ahead to the fifties with zeal and anticipation. Now that the future is today, I’m ready for anything!

A Name from the Past Creates
a Brighter Future for Many

Back in the 1980s, when I lived in the Detroit area, I met a guy named Craig Newmark. The venue was a barbecue where the guests were comic book artists and computer geeks. I remember that he worked at EDS, the company founded by Ross Perot. He was soft-spoken and had a self-deprecating sense of humor.

Fast forward 20 years to a company called Craigslist and a series on National Public Radio called 'This I Believe.'  The announcer introduced the day's speaker: the founder of Craigslist, Craig Newmark.

That's not a common name, I thought. I wonder if it's the same Craig Newmark.

I heard the voice and realized it was. Who knew?

Craig Newmark is a person who has touched millions of lives through social media and his foundation, craigconnects. Right now he wants to donate $10,000 to Kiva, the nonprofit that empowers people around the world by making microloans of $25. He's asking people on his Facebook page to choose an area: housing, education, food or services. If you'd enjoy helping someone spend $10,000, cast your decision today.

Take a moment to listen to Craig's This I Believe essay, entitled "That Golden Rule Thing."

Also, have you met a person who went on to become famous? Share your "Who Knew?" moment in a comment.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics