About Me

Twenty years ago I asked a Tarot card reader what would I be doing when I was 50. She replied, “I see you doing something so wildly creative, it defies a job title.” Only recently did I realize that was a slick way of saying, “I have no idea of what you’ll be doing.” But that prediction kept me charging ahead to the fifties with zeal and anticipation. Now that the future is today, I’m ready for anything!

Mrs. Duckfire and Her Bare-Necked Brood

Duck:ChixI recently wrote about Mrs. Duckfire, the caretaker-in-disguise to 11 motherless chicks.They're getting large but Mrs. Duckfire is the one in charge. Driving off birds who feed too closely to her brood. Calling her young in when it's time to roost.
Turkens! Most of the chicks in her brood are turkens, or formally called Transylvania Naked Necks. People often mistake them for a chicken/turkey hybrid, but they're simply a type of bare-necked chicken. You either love them or you hate them. I love them, having found turkens to be good egg layers, good parents, and good barnyard conversation starters. (As topics, not as speakers.)
I must be getting caught up. Usually I'm too busy tending critters to be photographing them. Look for more photos to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics