About Me

Twenty years ago I asked a Tarot card reader what would I be doing when I was 50. She replied, “I see you doing something so wildly creative, it defies a job title.” Only recently did I realize that was a slick way of saying, “I have no idea of what you’ll be doing.” But that prediction kept me charging ahead to the fifties with zeal and anticipation. Now that the future is today, I’m ready for anything!

Beaning and blogging

Summertime Sundays have become my favorite mornings for preparing garden vegetables. On Sunday mornings Mike is hosting his country gospel music program on WKLK-AM. Wyatt usually sleeps late. That leaves me alone in the kitchen, free to play whatever music I wish without eye rolling from others. And my music of choice is usually The Deep End with Nick Michaels. It's a syndicated program of deep-cut classic rock, the B- and C- and D-sides, with a sprinkling of classics you never tire of. Only 41 affiliates nationwide carry The Deep End. Duluth is the only Minnesota affiliate and only one of 16 nationwide to air the extended four-hour program.

That means a busy morning. I tend to work in time to music. In Minneapolis I discovered Ice-T provided a good backdrop for punching yeast dough. Last year I rhythmically shredded zucchini with a thrift-store kitchen contraption that resembled a countertop wood chipper. This year it's beans, green and dragon tongue: trimming them, blanching them, freezing them. Today, I was chopping beans to ZZ Top's La Grange. I stopped before the Ahow-how-how-how led to ow-ow-ow

And during this dance of chopping, blanching, and freezing, that's when the blogging ideas flow. During the summer harvest, ideas often must wait their turn. Ripened beans on the vine are harsh taskmasters.

That's why it feels good to have several blog posts in the can, as good as it feels to have fresh vegetables in the freezer. Both are stores against less plentiful and productive days. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics