About Me

Twenty years ago I asked a Tarot card reader what would I be doing when I was 50. She replied, “I see you doing something so wildly creative, it defies a job title.” Only recently did I realize that was a slick way of saying, “I have no idea of what you’ll be doing.” But that prediction kept me charging ahead to the fifties with zeal and anticipation. Now that the future is today, I’m ready for anything!

Dog x blog = time challenge squared

The earliest sliver of morning is my best time for blogging. It’s also the time when Jerry wants to go out, which shaves down the sliver even further.

I don’t take him walking when it’s still dark. You never know what’s out there when something goes crashing through the woods. A deer can charge you when spooked. And more than one neighbor has reported seeing a bear nearby. As Jerry and I started up the driveway after an early evening walk yesterday, we both heard a growl of some kind from across the road. We didn’t stick around to find out what it was.

Jerry will remain on leash for a few more weeks until he gets a feel for the land and is able to respond to simple commands. That means lots of walks. In addition to blogging and parenting and farming and lest I forget, making a living.

It's an adjustment, fitting a dog into the algebra of our daily life.  Yes, time management will be a challenge. As the newest family member, Jerry will have to adjust, too; he'll be fed Purina once the bag of Natural Choice that was sent home with him is gone. But I can see the advantages already: namely a practical application for the algebraic conundrum that has confounded me:

How many pounds of fifty cents a pound dog food and how many pounds of $1.25 a pound dog food does it take to create a 40-pound bag of dog food at eighty-nine cents a pound?







No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics