About Me

Twenty years ago I asked a Tarot card reader what would I be doing when I was 50. She replied, “I see you doing something so wildly creative, it defies a job title.” Only recently did I realize that was a slick way of saying, “I have no idea of what you’ll be doing.” But that prediction kept me charging ahead to the fifties with zeal and anticipation. Now that the future is today, I’m ready for anything!

Becoming a Social Media Hound

Owning a high-maintenance Weimaraner rescue puppy means time away from the computer, but not time away from the job.

While I walk Jerry, ideas that may not have made sense while staring at the computer screen suddenly come into clarity.

Social media is about engaging with people and keeping them coming back regularly to your space: Facebook page, Web site, Twitter account. Blogging is one way to do it. Another way is with lists. Author Brandon Lacy Campos has his  One-Liner of the Week Award.  Artist  David Berube  recently displayed a series of mail art cards on Facebook, each depicting a letter of the alphabet. Twenty-six cards, twenty-six reasons to come back and see what's next. Outgoing Minneapolis School Board member Chris Stewart featured a list of fifty best love songs on his Facebook page. People came back to see what was next, and to add their own ideas.

I've been pleasantly surprised at the outpouring of interest over Jerry, and have wondered if his own Facebook page could be in the future. For now, he can help me become a social media hound. There's no shortage of lists that a rescue Weimaraner with issues could inspire:

• The Things That Make Jerry Nervous

• Jerry's Daily Self-Esteem Journal, which chronicles the one small feat he accomplishes every day
   that helps him expand his comfort zone

• The Smelly Things Jerry Likes to Roll In

The other day I was at the computer and Jerry was at my side, nosing the mouse, causing the cursor to move on the screen. He was either saying "Let's go for a walk" or "You've been on long enough, it's my turn on the computer now."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics