About Me

Twenty years ago I asked a Tarot card reader what would I be doing when I was 50. She replied, “I see you doing something so wildly creative, it defies a job title.” Only recently did I realize that was a slick way of saying, “I have no idea of what you’ll be doing.” But that prediction kept me charging ahead to the fifties with zeal and anticipation. Now that the future is today, I’m ready for anything!

Long bus ride? Take a nap.

Thank you to Aaron Brown for re-blogging my post about my son Wyatt’s 90-minute bus ride. (And thank you to MinnPost for publishing it.) Aaron and his wife Christina have a son in kindergarten who has a similar-length bus ride, and two younger sons who will be making that same trip in less than two years. So I asked Wyatt if he had any advice for the Brown boys from his first year of riding the bus:

“Take lots of naps.”

What about if other kids give you trouble?

“Mess with them. Annoy them. Punch their seat.”

Weren’t you afraid that would make them madder?

“I sat next to the driver.”



Wyatt is a resilient, quick-witted kid who doesn’t start trouble but doesn’t walk away from it. I think his years of riding the bus helped make him who he is today. I wish the same for Aaron’s and Christina’s sons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics