About Me

Twenty years ago I asked a Tarot card reader what would I be doing when I was 50. She replied, “I see you doing something so wildly creative, it defies a job title.” Only recently did I realize that was a slick way of saying, “I have no idea of what you’ll be doing.” But that prediction kept me charging ahead to the fifties with zeal and anticipation. Now that the future is today, I’m ready for anything!

Right Foot Red: Meet the Twister Carpet

As the remodeling of the second story continues, my husband Mike figured I'd want to have the carpet replaced with something more subtle.

I've never been crazy about it. But now, perhaps because we'll be living upstairs, I'm starting to like the carpet. Really like it.

Picture the bubbles of a lava lamp, or a Twister mat with all of the spots red. That's the carpet. It's recycled from a Holiday Inn in Rochester which remodeled its conference rooms in 1972. The hotel was giving away carpet to anyone who could cart it away, and Mike's parents carted home a truckload. They carpeted all the rooms on both floors. They gave carpet to a friend whose carpet was ruined by flooding.

Because the upstairs of the farmhouse has been rarely used, the Twister carpet looks new despite being almost 40 years old. (The downstairs carpet has long been replaced.) Mike had a remnant of gold carpet he offered as an alternative. But I liked how the red of the carpet kicked up the energy of the Pretty Good Room, what we call our miniature great room. With a funky 1970s carpet design and a column finished in barn boards, the room has a feel that's frugal and eclectic.

So if you ever come to visit, we'll be ready for a game of Twister (watch the original 1966 commercial here) -- as long as every command ends in the color red.

Looking out from the Pretty Good Room, with barn boards
on the right, and the door to Wyatt's room across the hall.


The bookshelf at the right was once a doorway to the Pretty Good Room, which at one time was two rooms. The room at the end of the hall is the bathroom: another story in itself. 

3 comments:

  1. I love the retro look of the carpet - and I love red - such a burst of color! That Twister commercial cracked me up - so funny how they were targeting adults with that game! Have a great weekend! ~Suerae

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of your funniest lines yet—"as long as every command ends in the color red!" Really very funny. :D Oh, how I remember the aches and pains of an active Twister marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were the days, weren't they, Paula? Oh, to be as limber as we were then with the wisdom we have today! Glad you enjoyed the post, and thanks for reading -- Susan

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics