About Me

Twenty years ago I asked a Tarot card reader what would I be doing when I was 50. She replied, “I see you doing something so wildly creative, it defies a job title.” Only recently did I realize that was a slick way of saying, “I have no idea of what you’ll be doing.” But that prediction kept me charging ahead to the fifties with zeal and anticipation. Now that the future is today, I’m ready for anything!

Single White Swan Desires Mate

Somebody in southeast Minnesota doesn't like swans.

There's a farm outside of Wasioja with a pond and a single white swan swimming alone on it. A few years ago someone shot and killed the swan's mate. My mother-in-law tells me the lone swan is actually half of a second pair. A previous pair of swans had also been shot, with both birds killed.
Usually, swans hide when someone approaches. This one welcomed company.


I don't know if the swan is a cob (male) or a pen (female). Cobs are larger than pens.
But it's hard to compare sizes when there's only one swan.

After a few minutes, it did what swans do.

I hope to talk to the owners to find out if they've tried to re-mate the swan,
has the killer ever been caught,  or what will happen to the swan when the pond freezes.
Someday, I hope to come back and see the swan with a mate.

Related Posts
Don't Bogart That WMA, Dude
Where Have All the Chickens Gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics