About Me

Twenty years ago I asked a Tarot card reader what would I be doing when I was 50. She replied, “I see you doing something so wildly creative, it defies a job title.” Only recently did I realize that was a slick way of saying, “I have no idea of what you’ll be doing.” But that prediction kept me charging ahead to the fifties with zeal and anticipation. Now that the future is today, I’m ready for anything!

Remember the Titans, Minnesota Style

This weekend I watched one of my favorite movies, Remember The Titans. In this true story that happened in the 1970s, Denzel Washington stars as Herman Boone, who is appointed to coach a Virginia high school football team that has been newly integrated. Distrust, dislike, and discord are rampant. Boone steps in to create a winning team.

In that context, I'm hopeful after reading this Pioneer Press article about Minnesota House Speaker-elect Kurt Zellers. (h/t  Kevin Watterson.) Author Bill Salisbury describes the four-term state Republican as "one of the most affable and best-liked pols at the Capitol," a college football player with promise until an ankle injury changed his life course.

Zellers will be stepping into an environment similar to what Herman Boone faced. As a former football player, he knows what a team is capable of when it works together. I'm hoping Remember the Titans is one of Zellers' favorite movies, too.



These opinions are mine and do not represent The UpTake, for whom I am a contributing writer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics