About Me

Twenty years ago I asked a Tarot card reader what would I be doing when I was 50. She replied, “I see you doing something so wildly creative, it defies a job title.” Only recently did I realize that was a slick way of saying, “I have no idea of what you’ll be doing.” But that prediction kept me charging ahead to the fifties with zeal and anticipation. Now that the future is today, I’m ready for anything!

Party on, #Blizzardpeople

Blizzards with hashtags: now, that’s climate change.
The 2010 Twin Cities blizzard has snowballed into a community party, thanks to Twitter hashtags that link tweets into one continuous conversation. My favorite hashtag: #blizzardpeople, coined by political writer Rachel Stassen-Berger, segueing from yet another Minnesota election recount and the state’s most famous write-in candidate.
What a contrast to the relentless and Twitterless Halloween blizzard of 1991.
Back then my husband Mike and I lived in a Minneapolis duplex. On Saturday morning, the day after the blizzard began, our furnace broke down. Step One was finding a plumber who made house calls on a weekend and during an epic  blizzard. Step Two was shoveling out the driveway so the plumber could bring in the new furnace. Step Three was keeping neighbors off the cleared driveway: the only driveway and the only cleared space on the block.
Perhaps Twitter would have changed the climate of the 1991 blizzard. If the Halloween blizzard had a hashtag, what would it have been?
#Boolizzard?
#Hallowinter?
Share your hashtag ideas in the comments section!

On Facebook
Reminisce at I Remember the Halloween Blizzard of '91.
Check out the snow photo albums of Craig Martin Stellmacher and Marty Owings 
On Twitter
follow @rachelSB






No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics